Thursday, February 28, 2008

First Irish Test

Thursday night we had an econ "quiz". I say that because they call it a quiz, but it's worth 30% of our grade and it's really a midterm. First of all, it was in Blackrock Exam Centre - Blackrock is a town far away from campus. That was a little annoying and odd. I took a bus there really early because the bus line that runs there is unreliable, so I was worried about getting there and back. I got there really early and went to the library for some last-minute studying with a Canadian girl that I met on the bus. We went back to the exam hall at 6:15, it was wall-to-wall people, and they wouldn't open the door to the test room. It was insane. They opened the doors at about 6:29 for a 6:30 test. The test itself was a lot harder than I anticipated. The class is a joke, and I know all of the material that we've learned so far. The test questions came completely out of nowhere. I hear the grading system is ridiculous here, so I hope that helps.

The really stupid part was my plan getting back. I went to the bus stop and saw that the next bus wasn't for another 30 minutes, and they are supposed to be late all the time on top of that. I figured, why not just walk back? The ND kids who live at Blackrock walk back and forth every day when they come to campus. Extremely bad plan! It was dark, and I wasn't sure where I was going exactly. I was walking around residential areas for about 30 minutes. Then I finally got onto the main road and walked for 10 minutes, and I still had far to go. I looked at a bus stop and it made me confused as to where I was - the 10 stop was definitely not supposed to be listed on there, so I gave up and got a taxi back. That was the best idea I had that night. It cost 7 euro to get back from where I was, which was kind of bad, but it saved me walking for another 30-45 minutes. My lesson of the day was don't try to walk anywhere at night and be extremely thankful you don't live in Blackrock.

No comments: