Saturday, May 10, 2008

Trim Trip

Today Kelly and I took a trip to Trim, County Meath. That was the last place that I really wanted to visit in Ireland since it is where my dad was born. I didn't think it would be possible to visit since no tours really go there and I feel better on tours then winging it myself. I ended up figuring out the bus schedule from Dublin, and we decided to try and see what happened. It worked out really well because the bus dropped us off very close to the castle. We had a nice day there - lunch at a nice little restaurant, a tour of the castle, sightseeing around the ruins, and walking around town. The castle is one of my favorites that I've seen. It's the biggest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, and it's very impressive. It's also very pretty since it's on the River Boyne. It has the claim to fame of being where Braveheart was filmed in 1994. It's cool because they have pictures of the castle dressed up as the set with people on it. They also point out the key places in the tour: it was used for the castle of York in the battle, the window where Longshanks threw the son's friend out, and the outside area was used for London when Mel was tortured. I took way too many pictures as usual, but it was my last trip in Ireland! :(

No comments: