Sunday, May 4, 2008

Saying goodbye to Dublin

It's really sad that my last two weeks in Dublin are mostly spent stuck in my room trying to study. I'm getting really excited to come home because I miss my family and friends and I'm really excited for American food. At the same time, I know I am going to miss Dublin a lot. I love this city, and it's finally hitting me that I'm leaving it so soon. It's definitely going to be a bittersweet goodbye. I'm just glad I have an awesome summer lined up so it's not like I'll have time to be missing Ireland too much.

Yesterday Kelly and I went into the city for a Starbucks break. It was the first time I've had Starbucks since I've been here. There's something strangely comforting about going to a place that's the same as it would be at home. My java chip frappuccino tasted more like a milkshake than an American frappuccino, but it was still nice to have. After that we went to Carroll's and I started my souvenir shopping. It was so nice to get out and hang around the city instead of sitting in my room writing papers. I'm going to miss being able to hop on a bus and be in the city in 15 minutes.

This morning I went to mass at UCD, and I realized how much I'm going to miss Irish masses. The priest explained the parts of the mass as he always does, and he asked which "Our Father" to sing and started singing a couple different versions for people to choose. He kept saying he had a "long sermon" today... mass was still over in less than 45 minutes. The masses here are so entertaining that it's going to be strange going to mass back home.

While I'm counting down the days until my finals are over and I can see my family and go to all of my favorite restaurants, it's definitely going to be difficult to leave Dublin.

No comments: